Friday, August 22, 2014

Nitro Z7 Bass Boat with a Bimini Top

Prior to adding a Bimini top to our Nitro Z7 bass boat I did as much research as I could, though there was very little to on. The pictures I did find were of pictures prior nitro models or some random forum comments on the pros and cons.

Left me tell you that my wife rides along and reads and sometimes even fishes with me and there are no cons, a happy wife means a happy me ok. I fish on the Colorado River near Yuma AZ and its hotter than hell in the summer.

Temps between 106 and 125 degrees are normal. The Bimini top pictured is from Sunbrella in dark charcoal grey (matches the dark carpet), it's 6 foot long and 46 inches high and is mounted to a 36" rail attached to the gunnels, we can slide it back and forth as needed. We purchased our top at Yuma Marine and installation was free.

The beauty of this setup with a rail mount is that we could fine tune the final mounting position to our exact specifications, as well as having the option to fold it down and out of the way or shade one area more than another. When in the down position it lays all the way at the end of the rear deck, but just short of the engine control tube. You can open every compartment when it is down!

I would add that you can get a lower profile Bimini top that's 36" but you would have an extremely hard time walking between decks, I am not all that good at doing the limbo. The 46" height is perfect for our bass boat, I am 6 tall and its relatively easy to move from the front deck to the consoles etc. But the best part is that when its up it probably cuts the temp by at least 20 degrees and shades just about all of the passenger interior space for the better part of the day.

Drawbacks? Hmm I would have to say that you need to be aware that the canvas will stretch a little after use and you will need to readjust the tie down straps more than a few times. There is also the issue of boat speed, at 35 to 40 mph the Bimini top is pretty solid, but at higher speeds the wind pressure tends to push down on the top causing the straps to loosen.

 
And don't let people tell you that you cant catch fish if you have a Bimini top on your Nitro Z7 bass boat or any other bass boat for all that matters. When we have it up I can cast and flip from just about every square inch of the front deck while Peggy gets to enjoy the massive amount of shade that the top provides for the passenger area.
Sorry for the stressed out look in my fish picture, it was taken near the end of the day and air temps never went below 108 and humidity was high all day. But my point is that we caught quality fish like that all throughout the day and with a Bimini top in the up position on our Nitro Z7 bass boat.
 
FYI I know I usually wear a shirt from my company Wave Shoppe Hawaiian shirts but it was just too hot and humid, its often easier to change out a t-shirt every few hours than it is to let the sweat and scorching sun wreck one of beautiful Hawaiian shirts.
 
 

1 comment: